MBSky

What was your first time on the internet?

For the youngsters on here, the internet has been part of their lives from the very beginning. But for us "older" folks, there was a time when most of us had very little knowledge of computers or their ability to connect to one another. So if you are apart of the latter, do you remember the first time getting on the internet?

My first time was around 1993. I had been on Prodigy and AOL a couple times with their free trials but at that time, you were pretty much just on their network. A buddy of mine brought in an extra computer of his and introduced me to the WWW. It was a simple text based screen and the only thing we found were sports scores from the professional leagues with a few stats. While it was very basic compared to today, it was a whole new world of excitement. Didn't officially get my first real computer hooked up to the internet until a couple years later but that was the first spark for me to join this ever-expanding universe.

Edited by MBSky

I didn't use the internet until the early 00's.

The UK seemed quite slow to get up-to-date, at least my city. My junior school(s) had old acorn machines, when I was in senior school (all the way to the final year) all we had was 95 and 98 machines. I don't really recall the first site that I used but I do remember connecting with friends via MSN, using the messageboards and chat rooms that Yahoo used to have.

Mind I was more into programming as a youngster, playing around with QBasic and VB.

Downloading wrestling sims like Promotion Wars.

I'd guess around 1995. Was relatively young (a child), but definitely not a baby and had less exposure for a while than a lot of kids now! lol

Don't recall much of my first interests with the internet, but it was only a year or two after my first exposure that I took an interest to building websites. My parents didn't approve of my primary choice of content (it was for a different "religious" faith), but supposedly they were able to discover I had a decent level of traffic. Sometimes I miss the days where aggregate information sources like Wikipedia didn't create significant competition to niche information sites. :P

My father was very reliant on the internet as early as the 90s, for work, so we were lucky to have a connection as early back as around 1997. It was such a novelty at the time, plus the whole dial up thing... no surprise that it's now pretty much everywhere.

Oh first day on the Internet wow was back in 1998 or 1999 when had use good old dial up internet my first provider was AOL for small period then moved over to Orange but man i love Cable :) i been lucky last few years be in cable area and don't miss the ADSL modems as to slow for me lol.

I've been "on-line" since around 1990 when I got Prodigy (and the included "Hayes" 1200 baud modem).  It was freaking awesome!!  Loved it!  Later we got AOL.  I also ran a BBS during the 90's when I got my own PC.

I didn't get on the actual internet until 1997, and started running sites!  Very fun!

• Like 1

What's interesting about this is that I've worked on the internet for the last 20 years...basically since 1996. It was about that time that RoadRunner cable high speed internet access was rolling out in very limited communities. I happened to live in a community right next door to one of those communities and was able to get on some friends computers to experience the speed. It was right after that we decided to move to the community. Of course, almost everyone has access to high speed internet but at that time, it was a huge benefit to have that speed. Those were the good old days where everyone was still on dialup and could only dream of the speed that I was surfing at!!

haha What speed? I almost got 650kbps cable in like 1999 or so.  That would have been unbelievably fast, but was a tad more than I afford so I decided not to.  In 2003 I got 1.5mbps DSL. :)

A funny thing about the old "slow" speeds is somehow those speeds managed to be enough for websites laden with background music, images and animations everywhere, and landing pages before content pages. Now, when the masses have much faster speed, making webpages more lightweight/fast-loading is practically a sport. While I certainly appreciate efficient websites being desirable now, seems webmasters did things backwards with content delivery. xD

On 12/6/2016 at 15:25, zoldos said:

haha What speed? I almost got 650kbps cable in like 1999 or so.  That would have been unbelievably fast, but was a tad more than I afford so I decided not to.  In 2003 I got 1.5mbps DSL. :)

In 1996, it was 1-1.5 mbps (from this article). It was so much faster than anywhere else at the time, at least that I was aware of. It was $45 per month, which alot of people thought was too expensive as they were used to AOL at $20. Since I was working on the internet, that extra speed gave me a big advantage and was the reason that I moved to this community.

3 hours ago, SGrayMe said:

A funny thing about the old "slow" speeds is somehow those speeds managed to be enough for websites laden with background music, images and animations everywhere, and landing pages before content pages. Now, when the masses have much faster speed, making webpages more lightweight/fast-loading is practically a sport. While I certainly appreciate efficient websites being desirable now, seems webmasters did things backwards with content delivery. xD

I agree. Everything seems to be made for smart phones anymore. I'm still a desktop guy who has all the gadgets too. But I spend most of my online time still sitting at the computer. The only real problem is the advertisements. I swear, I think these website developers are doing everything they can to get rid of the desktop. Go to a site on the smartphone, it's easy to read and access. Get on a desktop, they want to throw a 1000 ads at you all on one page.

• Like 1

I first got broadband in 2003.  1.5 meg.  It was awesome!!! Recently I had 60 meg @ $80 a month.  We lowered it to 20 meg @ $60 a month.  They are soon rolling out 1 gigabit!!